About Linda Scher
Linda Scher is a family mediator and facilitator who has been providing private and confidential mediation services to families in Portland since 1990. She provides mediation in all family situations.
- Unmarried Couples
- Child Welfare
- Open Adoption
Linda also frequently serves as a role play coach and assistant trainer for public and private mediation training programs.
Linda earned her law degree at the University of Washington School of Law in 1986. She is a member of the Oregon Mediation Association and was honored with their Award for Excellence in Mediation in 1998. Linda is a practitioner member of the Family Section of the Association for Conflict Resolution, and serves on the State Family Law Advisory Committee.
Linda subscribes to the Core Standards of Mediation Practice set forth by the Oregon Mediation Association, and the Standards of Practice for Family and Divorce Mediation set forth by the Association for Conflict Resolution.
For a complete résumé, click here.
For contact information, click here.
For information on setting an appointment, click here
Here are some comments made by my clients, published with their permission:
- "Linda had great skill at bringing in both parties and hearing both of us…we were able to come to agreements without escalating conflict…[she was] very knowledgeable, connected, and enjoyable to work with." — E.G.
- "Linda was awesome! She was super patient and kept very neutral the whole time…[She] facilitated through some rough times. When I was way too emotional at times, she stopped and made sure I was ready, and when I wasn’t, she moved on to areas I could deal with until I was in a better state of mind. It made me feel very comfortable knowing that she saw I was distraught and was not going to let anyone take advantage of the situation." — R.E.
- "I learned quite a bit and I feel I am walking away with some better life skills. I felt there was a lot of success at the end of the sessions…watching you work in those moments where I felt ‘I’m losing it here’ was beneficial to me." — C.M.
- "I'm so very glad we started by talking to you so the process remained cordial instead of adversarial. It's easy to start to feel bitter and unhappy when in the land of broken dreams which is divorce, but you kept us focused and working as team to accomplish an unpleasant task." - JD
- "Mediation with Linda was possibly the best way for me to work through and come to terms with what was possibly the most devastating experience of my life. I am so very thankful." — SM
Parenting Plan Mediation
- "We are very pleased with the result of mediation and feel all have been able to work within our new boundaries as a family…Thank you for your service, your work has made a wonderful difference in our lives." — G.J.
- "We were both encouraged to express ourselves freely…you took a lot of pain and frustration (and mystery) out of this process." — R.C.
LINDA SCHER, MediatorServices Offered: Mediation, Mediation Training, and Group Facilitation
Nature of Practice: Since 1990, private mediation practice specializing in family matters
Type of Issues: Reconciliation, divorce, and post-divorce related matters, including custody, visitation, child support and property division; all other family related matters, including separation, parent-teen, unmarried couples, probate and adoption
* University of Washington
Juris Doctorate degree awarded 1986
* Pacific Family Mediation Institute
Forty hour Family Mediation Training, 1986
* Portland Neighborhood Mediation Center
Thirty hour Facilitation Training, 1988
Volunteer mediator and facilitator 1989-97
* Clackamas County Family Court Service
Twelve month Internship Program, 1989-90
Parent-Teen Mediator since 1997
* Multnomah County Small Claims Court
Forty-six hour Mediation and Mediation Trainer Training, 1991
Volunteer mediator and supervisor 1991-96
* Metro-Portland Realtors Association
Eight hour Real Estate Mediation Training, 1991
Panel mediator 1991-96
* Tri-County Youth Services Consortium
Eight hour Advanced Parent-Adolescent Mediation Training, 1992
Volunteer mediator 1992-96
* Cooperative Adoption Mediation Project
Twenty-four hour Open Adoption Mediation Training, 1993
Panel mediator since 1993
* Member, Washington State Bar Association since 1986 (inactive)
* Member, Oregon Mediation Association since 1988
* Board of Directors/Officer, Oregon Mediation Association 1989-97
* Advanced Practitioner Member, Association for Conflict Resolution
(formerly the Academy of Family Mediators) since 1990
* Recipient, OMA Outstanding Mediator Award, 1997
* Member, Statewide Family Law Advisory Committee since 1998
Contacting Linda Scher
3282 S.E. Hawthorne Boulevard
Portland, Oregon 97214
Directions to my office
phone: (503) 232-8550
fax: (503) 232-8494
On the web at schermediate.com
All text, graphics & information on this site © 2014 Linda Scher